Outback Queensland is a unique getaway experience you should not overlook! Read on to find out all you need to know before you embark on your journey to the Outback. We have collated important information that will help you prepare for your next Outback adventure.
Travelling with your own vehicle is generally recommended, simply because of the flexibility and convenience it offers. However, it is important to be well prepared by planning ahead.
Here are our top tips if you choose to drive through Outback Queensland:
- Have a trusty, detailed map handy at all times. Whilst you can easily find help in each town, the nearest town is likely to be significantly far!
- Check for any road closures or changes in road conditions before you leave so you can plan an alternate journey.
- Take regular breaks to ensure that you are well-rested, refreshed and alert at all times!
- We recommend that you always factor in extra travel time. The Outback has beautiful scenery and natural wonders to marvel at, which make for memorable experiences along the way.
- Watch out for Wildlife! Kangaroos are very common at dawn, dusk and at night. Avoid any unnecessary damage and accidents by only driving during daylight hours.
- Be mindful of how much fuel you have left. Fuel stations can generally be found every 200km. Although, if you come across a sign that says no fuel stops, it means exactly that!
- Carry your own first aid kit with you. Read on below for more medical information.
Other Commute Options
The Westlander and Spirit of the Outback are two trains running between Brisbane and Charleville or Longreach, stopping at Roma on the way. If you are planning on visiting the Outback by train, we recommend planning and booking ahead, as these rail services are not available every day. The Westlander departs Brisbane on Tuesdays and Thursdays, and the Spirit of the Outback on Tuesdays and Saturdays.
Roma is a major stop along the Bus Queensland routes. Conveniently, any other towns you may wish to visit in the Outback can be accessed by this bus. Catching a bus is the perfect way to experience an Outback road trip without the hassle of driving yourself.
Qantas offers daily flights from Brisbane to Roma, as well as to other towns in Outback QLD.
Visitor Information Centres
Located on Riggers Road, Roma Big Rig Visitor Information Centre is the perfect place to start your Outback adventure. The Big Rig will equip you with all the information you will need on your journey. The Big Rig is also one of our top picks for family-friendly activities in Roma. You can read more here.
Alternatively, simply ask our helpful staff when you arrive at your Roma Explorers Inn accommodation. We are locals in Roma, so you can guarantee we know our way around! We are available at any time to lend you a helping hand with any queries or further suggestions you may need.
Telstra is the main internet service provider, covering the majority of the Outback. We have found that it is reliable. Other providers’ coverage may not be as comprehensive. However, we do offer free wi-fi for any guests who choose to stay with us at Roma Explorers Inn.
In the summer, the Outback temperatures hover between 35-40°C but keep in mind that it is not uncommon for weather in some areas to exceed 40°C. The wet season occurs officially between December – February each year. However, we tend to experience rainfall during the summer months of November – April.
According to Travel Outback Australia, Australian summer is the worst time to visit the outback. They recommend visiting between May and September. We highly recommend checking weather forecasts before you take off on your trip to the Outback, especially if you decide to drive. For more detailed forecasts, we recommend you visit the Queensland Bureau of Meteorology.
Each town in Outback Queensland has its own medical centre, and in case of emergencies, the Royal Flying Doctor Service takes patients in remote locations to the nearest hospital. As above, stay prepared by carrying your own first aid kit.
Don’t miss out on all that Roma has to offer you! Head over to Roma Explorers Inn Blog for more of our recommendations.